Saturday, April 23, 2011

Scattante SSR Single Speed Road Bike


I don't have this bike anymore. It was fun to build, but other than a blast around the neighborhood every couple of weeks, I just wasn't riding it. But, if you want a fast and fun track-style bike, the Scattante SSR frame and fork is a nice offering. Don't expect a low-buck F&F to result in a low-buck build, however. I built mine up with cheap-but-good parts from a variety of online sources, and still dropped about $700 bucks. Ouch.



The cheapest clipless pedals I could find. I actually never rode clipped in, I kept platforms on the bike to facilitate quick spins around the neighborhood.


SRAM Omnium crank, super nice. I got a great deal on it from a buddy who worked there, I would not have bought such a nice crank otherwise.


ACS Claws BMX freewheel. The Scattante frame had neat socket-style fork ends (not dropouts, as Sheldon Brown will tell you). Calibration marks and chain tensioning screws made it easy to set up the drivetrain.  


These Weinman rims with Formula cartridge-bearing, high-flange hubs were $160 for the pair. I liked 'em.


Ah yes, there's the hub. Note the shallow sockets the axle nuts sit in, as a safety device. Even with nutted axles, I had to hassle with "lawyer lips!"


Tektro's most inexpensive brakes are the R530s, but they belie their low cost with a nice finish and smooth action. The pads need a fair ammount of bed-in time before they grab well, though--especially on the Weinman rims' machined sidewalls, which had fine grooves that further reduced grip.
This shot also shows the Performance chromoly fork's nicely sloping crown. The fork weighed a ton, as I recall. And, it's no longer available--or at least, not available now.


Tektro R200A levers go for under $30 bucks a pair. You can spend a lot more, but I don't think you can get a better functioning lever--unless you want your brake levers to also operate your derailers.


PricePoint bars and stem, $35 for both as a combo. Perfectly fine stuff.


Kalloy Uno radius-top, the best $20 seatpost you'll ever find. Get yours from Velo Orange and it won't have the logo--much nicer that way. The saddle is a Forte thing that came off my Scattante Roma flat-bar road bike.

And there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment